Monday 27 February 2012

Help!!

Today I checked my Twitter to find that someone had tweeted me:

"Hi I have just seen your blog on a website that a friend contributed to. I think you are my guardian angel, I've emailed you at your Gmail account for some advice on non-graduate aspiring marketing students making it into this industry! Help !! x"

As I read Amy's email I couldn't help thinking how much she sounded like me in my final year of university. Of course I was more than happy to try and offer what advice I could. I thought it would be great if I published Amy's message and my reply, in order to share our dialogue in the hope it might help one or two of you. I would also be really happy (and I'm sure Amy would appreciate it too!) if anyone had any comments to make about her position, and to add to the advice I have given.


Hi Jos,

My name is Amy Jackson and I recently found your blog whilst reading a friends contribution to the website TargetjobsBloggers.

Your About Me section really interested me and I thought I'd email you mainly for some advice, I hope this is ok.

I am in my last two months at University studying a Journalism and English Literature degree. My dream job is to be a Marketing and Advertisiting Co-ordinator. However, after a four year degree of something that isn't directly related, I am struggling. At 18 I was unsure as what I wanted to do at University, but as the years have gone on, I've realised I have found something I am passionate about and feel I could put my whole self into.

I have done many placements in the last four years, I have travelled to Vietnam and Africa with the BBC, worked in publishing houses working with events management and helped to arrange many charity events around the North East. However, no immediate connection to Marketing and Advertising.

I have an interview on Thursday for a 5 month placement with DiFFERENT Marketing and Advertising, in Newcastle. The email I got back regarding a graduate job invited me along for a chat about my options, and they said I would be more suited for a PR role. I am unsure as to how this meeting will go and what my options are, but if you could give me some tips on how impress at this sort of interview, then I'd really appreciate it.

Besides not actually doing a marketing degree, I regulary read books about it and speak to other people who are involved in this industry. My experience is limited but I want to show I can learn quickly.

Best Wishes,

Amy Jackson

 

Hi Amy,
Thanks so much for getting in touch! It’s great to know that people are reading Jos Can and taking something from it, as well as the fact we are able to connect and share advice and experiences. Your email struck a chord with me as I was in your exact position in my third year of university.
You seem really on the ball though, passionate and knowledgeable, which will definitely work in your favour. You mentioned you read marketing-related books and network with people in the industry – this is a brilliant demonstration of your commitment and enthusiasm, and you should definitely bring this up in the interview. These traits will probably be your greatest assets.
You mention that you have been invited to have a “chat about your options”, which seems to imply that the exact nature of the placement is not set in stone or that there is more than one available. So they might start off by explaining a bit more about what it is they’re expecting the hired candidate(s) to get up to, which will be a great chance for you to make connections to your own interests and past experiences in order to demonstrate your suitability.
Equally they might ask you what sort of career you’re looking for in order to scope out how right you are for what they have in mind. In this instance, I wouldn’t spend too long talking about the exact thing you’re looking for. For example, if you were interested in doing events for big sports brands but they were looking for someone to support the social media for a food and beverages client, you could focus instead on what you want to get out of the role – “I’m looking for something challenging, where I can take on responsibility and make a difference to a company”…”I’m a fast learner so this would be a great experience to work alongside and learn from industry experts”..., but obviously tailor it to what it is you think they’re looking for.  In a lot of interviews I’ve been to, they have been hesitant about revealing that a lot of the role will be admin/support–focused as they are aware it is not very appealing, but although it wasn’t what I was after, by showing that I wasn’t loath to get involved with that sort of stuff I found my way in, which then provided a chance for me to prove myself in other tasks that came along as part of the role.
When preparing for an interview I find it a good exercise to imagine yourself as the interviewer and that you have someone you have never met before coming in to talk to you. What would you want to know? Surely: why has this person decided to try for the job? So this is where you would talk about your passion for marketing. You can say where your interest came from - perhaps a particular campaign that first caught your eye, or the fact that you have always paid attention to brands and how they are interacting with their consumers. You said you've come to realise you have "found something you're passionate about and could put your whole self into", so make sure they see that and you'll be halfway there!
Try not to present your degree as anything but an asset (I know I have a terrible tendency to jump straight in and apologise for my lack of marketing degree!) You can point out how your degree has allowed you to develop important skills, in writing (an obvious one)/analysing (from deciphering news articles)/teamwork (from any group project work) etc.… You know that you want a job that allows you to use these skills, and marketing, coupled with your interest in the industry, fits this well.
Please forgive my majorly vague interpretation of your degree! It just goes to show how not everyone will have a really distinct idea of what it is you worked on as part of your degree, so it’s really important that you can clearly explain what skills you developed, and translate that to the job role you’re after.  Similarly, don’t view the fact that you haven’t had any experience directly related to marketing as a flaw. I’ll bet you’ll have picked up lots of useful skills in your past work experiences – they sound really interesting and unique and I think they would make you stand out.
It’s my (cynical) suspicion that they have suggested PR because of your writing and journalism-focused degree. Don’t let them pigeon-hole you if that’s not what you’re interested in! If it turns out in the interview that the placement you are going for is more focused towards PR, take the opportunity to find out all you can about what you’d be doing, as well as opportunities for the future - the placement is still likely to be worthwhile, and you certainly don't want to reject it then and there.

So! There's my humble advice - has anyone else got any comments to help Amy before her interview? Maybe you're in the same position as her and have struggled due to a lack of relevant experience. Are you from a similar course and able to pinpoint the key benefits/transferable skills of her degree? Or are you in the same boat and just want to complain! Even any words of encouragement that have come to mind whilst reading Amy's message. Personally, I think she sounds like she would be a great asset to any marketing team, and even if this opportunity isn't right or doesn't work out, that she'll no doubt go on to be successful in pursuing her dream. 

8 comments:

  1. BRILLIANT ADVICE JOS, THANK YOU! I'm currently making notes, just to go over now and again to make sure that when I go into speak with them on Thursday,I have a clear indication of what I want to express, rather than choke up and go off track. Not only have you provided tips for an interview based around marketing, but also tips on how to deal with an interview in general. These are great for everyone to take into account.

    I know plenty of peope say, "I wanna do this... I wanna do that" just because it pays well or they think it would be a good use of their time. But I genuinly 100% want to pursue a career in this field and I will fight for it. Luckily I may have more of an advantage when it comes to building a repour. I'm already outgoing enough but with your advice I'm sure I won't have any problems telling them why they should hire me.

    I can't tell you how happy I am to get some advice from somebody who has been in this position before, it's made me feel a lot more confident, not only about the interview, but about finding a job in what I want to do rather than what I have trained to do.

    Any contributions will be so welcome! Ahhh, I feel a lot more at ease.

    THANK YOU!!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Amy,
    Thanks for checking out the TARGETjobs bloggers. It’s an interesting situation to be in but hopefully we can offer some advice which will help you out. From your email it seems that there are probably a few different issues playing on your mind:
    1.You are concerned that you don’t have enough experience in marketing and advertising.
    2.You are worried about how this interview with DiFFERENT will go, and what role you’re actually being interviewed for.
    3.You are pretty set on a career in marketing and advertising, and aren’t sure what to make of their idea that you would be good in PR.

    First up, if you need a quick ego boost remember that they already have your CV and they are interested in you. This means that even if you don’t have the experience as such, they can see potential.

    If you are worried about how the interview will go then your best bet is to get in touch with them beforehand. Find out roughly what sort of meeting it will be and what kind of topics you will cover. Asking them for details isn’t cheating, it’s initiative!

    Thirdly, PR is linked to marketing. Don’t forget that public relations work is just journalism turned on its head. Instead of investigating developments, you are promoting them to the investigators. It is probably your journalism degree and experience with the BBC that has inspired DiFFERENT to suggest this to you – take advantage of this. So you should still give it a try before you write it off completely. To get an idea of what PR is really like check out this link: http://targetjobs.co.uk/career-sectors/advertising-and-pr

    I would suggest that at the interview you make it clear that you are interested in a career in marketing and advertising and as such you would appreciate being involved in marketing projects to learn the ropes. This way you can start to get experience in marketing.

    I personally applied for an editorial internship (it is relevant, bear with me) with TARGETjobs, but was invited to interview for a web internship instead. I wasn’t sure whether I had been hand-picked, or whether I was the runner-up after the editorial internship shortlist had been compiled. At the end of the day it didn’t really matter; I performed a similar role, and was offered a full time job based on my work here.

    My gut reaction is to suggest you go for it. If, after the meeting you aren’t interested you can hold out for a marketing and advertising role. Alternatively, you could give it a trial, but ask for a week or fortnight probation and see whether you can stomach it. I’m sure I don’t have to spell out how competitive the graduate job market is, so unless you have better options in the pipeline (and interns are legally allowed days off to attend interviews btw) there’s nothing to lose.

    Ross_TARGETjobs

    ReplyDelete
  3. To be honest Amy I do not think you will have a problem; it really does not matter a huge amount if you do not have a degree in the correct industry. You have good experience that will go a long way and your degree will certainly count for something. I was in a similar position going into marketing with a Geography degree, but what I found was that employers in marketing will also look at what they think you will be able to learn when you are in the company, not just what you already know.

    Also, I went into PR and communications purely as a way of getting my foot in the door, and after a few months they changed my position to a more marketing-based one as it fitted with me far better. So sometimes it is beneficial to take a role just to get noticed and then change once you are inside the company you want to be in.

    Tom Lamming

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi all,
    Thanks for your comments.
    Another thing I haven't mentioned, was that I did a placement with a 'marketing' company last year. This was not what I imagined and it disheartened me that much that I left after two weeks. Basically, the staff were all about telling me how easy it is to progress in the company and I stood on the streets of Newcastle, marketing beauty products and selling them to customers.
    Obviously with working in retail for the past 5 years I took to this very easy, I'm outgoing and not afraid to approach people. But this is not what I wanted to do. It wasn't was I expected.

    If I get this placement I will be leaving a comfortable job to pursue it. It's very daunting and although it will increase job opportunities, I'm worried I'm going to leave and to make ends meet,find a job which doesn't relate to marketing or something loosely connected, as the job role I just described. How easy did you find you jobs and what were the major setbacks?

    Thanks again !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  5. Hi Amy,

    I thought I'd offer some advice as I've been in a very similar position!

    Firstly, don't think of your lack of marketing and advertising experience as too much of a hindrance. So it would be helpful to have some under your belt but it isn't the be all and end all - everyone has to start somewhere! And as Jos has discussed previously having this experience doesn't automatically line you up for a job anyway! The fact that you have unique experiences on your cv is a true asset - you have learnt, lived and enjoyed work that will enable you to bring truly fresh and different perspectives to the table! Something that is a real benefit in this constantly evolving and creative industry. You are also demonstrating a clear interest in the industry and spinning aspects of your degree to demonstrate this will help your interviewer understand why this career path over others!

    Secondly the phrase "a chat" when accompanied to a potential position can mean anything from two gruelling interviews to actually just a chinwag about the role. Be prepared for both - I once made the mistake of actually thinking my "chat" was a chat and ended up with egg on my face. I looked less knowledgable because I was overwhelmed by the seriousness of the interview meaning my passion for the industry wasn't as evident as it should have been! It is always better to be over prepared than under!

    Always make sure you know their latest campaigns and any news. Bringing up recent appointments shows you are really interested in their agency and that you took the initiative to find out more!

    Also going in with a clear idea of what you want to get out of your time there will show you're being assertive. When I was interviewed before a placement at a marketing agency they presumed I wanted to be on the experiential team but I explained that, after seeing their recent campaign on a particular brand, I wanted to be involved on an account which would deal with the whole 360 degree process. As such when it came to my experience I was put on a relevant team and ended up with truly rewarding experience that has been impressive to employers. DiFFERENT seem to market themselves as a truly integrated agency with all departments intertwined - highlight the fact that if you do go into PR that you would like to be involved in other elements too - it seems like it shouldn't be a problem from their philosophy anyway!!

    Thirdly, don't dismiss PR. Yes your background does cry out PR in the cookie cutter world of the job market, but why do you feel you'd not enjoy PR? I worked as an account co-ordinator at a PR agency when I originally wanted a marketing or advertising position. The experience I gained from there has been invaluable - after all, PR is a part of the marketing mix and there are many parallels from liaising with clients to working on briefs. Looking at a brand's perception can really help you get to grips with marketing as a whole. Not only that but campaigns in PR often blur across to other elements of marketing! Think about the rise of social media and how anyone has the power to share what they think of a brand or campaign. I'm sure I don't need I remind you of twitter campaigns gone astray - PR is now a more important than ever before as we can all create our own content and share our opinions to the masses! So it's more than dealing with the press and journalists! PR will be a pivotal role with many campaigns and think of how the exposure to these will give you a wealth of experience you can draw from if you do turn to purely marketing/ advertising in the future. All of this experience will help you if you do decide to move on after your 5 months placement.

    I wish all the best with your interview and look forward to hearing about your successful venture into the marketing industry!

    Good luck,
    Danni

    @DanniBarrett

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi everyone,

    Thanks for all your advice.

    Todays informal chat went really well. I had a look around the office and see the kind of work that was being produced. I had a chat with the director and he said (as I expected) that I'd be more PR suited, and after seeing what was going on in the office, I agree.

    He is personally going to send my CV across to the PR company they work closely with and suggest they take a look and contact me about a placement/interview. With my background of events organising and journalism I feel a client based, more hands approach with the public is definitely me rather than the design aspects that a marketing role at DiFFERENT seems to entail.

    Netherless, I am very optimistic that I have my foot in the door. Baby steps are better than no steps at all and hopefully, the PR Company (Unfortunately I forgot the name) will be in touch soon.

    I'll be in touch with Jos soon to let her know how things are going.

    Thanks!!

    Amy xx

    @AmyAdores

    ReplyDelete
  7. Best advice I can give is be as proactive as possible. In this day and age it is so easy to set up your own blog and get noticed this way. Doing this opens doors, allows your to advertise yourself and keeps you motivated, have a read http://www.graduatejobhuntblog.blogspot.com/search/label/Blogajob

    Best of luck any way Amy

    ReplyDelete