Sunday 29 January 2012

The virtues of being rejected

 So, I got rejected from the DAS Accelerate graduate scheme.

Had to get that out of the way first!

The programme is an excellent opportunity for graduates to gain a fully comprehensive introduction to and training in the industry of marketing communications, through joining one of four streams (Brand, Corporate, Healthcare and CRM), and carrying out placements in a number of agencies that are part of the Omnicom Group, one of the largest in the world. I was absolutely gutted that my application form was rejected. Especially since last year I reached the stage following the application form, which is an Open Day consisting of an introduction to the scheme through presentations, networking with Omnicom employees and previous grads, as well as an interview. 

The fact I got through last year and not this year is something I have been quite puzzled about. This year I applied with an equally strong, if not stronger, brand essay; and not only that but I had three more experiences in marketing under my belt, including one carried out in one of their own agencies. I guess there’s no hard and fast rule as to what gets you through, but having worked on my application for many months prior to the deadline with a much better knowledge of the industry and the actual job I was applying to, it made being rejected with no feedback all the more difficult to bear. But anyway, onwards and upwards I guess.


A little story about my science degree 

I have decided to recount my experience of last year’s Open Day because it is one of the most tangible examples I have of my degree impacting on my application in an unfavourable way.

This bear is sad because he has
graduated, but it turns out his degree
isn't doing him much good

 Sitting down for my interview, my interviewer introduced herself as an employee at a PR agency in the Healthcare section. She looked at me encouragingly, expecting me to take an avid interest in this and seemingly hoping that we might bond over our shared career interests. I was puzzled. I myself knew that my degree did not involve the study of any hardcore science subjects that might form the appropriate foundation for a career in healthcare communications. But I had not considered that the recruiters might have looked at my BSc degree and made the assumption that I was suited to and/or interested in this particular stream. 


 I cannot explain to you how quickly her potential fondness for me melted when I impulsively exclaimed “Oh! No, I know I do Human Sciences, but it’s not really about hardcore science and health all that much. I’m much more interested in the Brand stream”, nor can I explain the figurative drop in temperature that followed this proclamation. 

 
ERROR. 

That would have been us in my
interview.
Although this was the truth, I hadn’t considered that my degree might have caused the scheme organisers to believe they were creating a match made in heaven by assigning this particular lady to interview me. Consequently, the shock at finding myself being interviewed by someone who was expecting me to share an interest in what they do for a living meant that I lost all tact, and pretty much extinguished any hope of us ever bonding. Had I been prepared for such an occurrence, I would have definitely dedicated some time to discussing our (supposedly) mutual interest, before gently steering her towards my preference for the brand stream. 

On the day it was made clear that the healthcare stream was the hardest stream to recruit for. I’ve often wondered whether the reason I was let through last was because they saw my degree and let me through because they were short on applicants suited to or interested in the healthcare stream. This year I stipulated in my cover letter that I was interested in the brand stream, and as I’m sure it’s probably the most popular, perhaps this is why I was not put through. Though of course, you can never say for sure. 

What did I learn?

I do not mean to entirely blame DAS for my lack of success last year; I know that I was nowhere near good enough then, and of course it was my fault that my disinterest in healthcare had the impact it did on my interview. By sharing the story I wanted to highlight what I took away from the experience, which I hope might also be of some help to you. Leaving the interview, I felt that sinking feeling when you know things haven't gone well. I also couldn't help feeling frustrated that I had been pigeonholed into healthcare. I knew then that I had to use my work experience to move away from my degree and show my interests and capabilities in my preferred areas. 

It also emphasised to me how important it is that you look at yourself objectively, see yourself as the recruiter will see you, and use the perspective of how others see you to strengthen your application by making your interests and goals transparent. In my cover letter to DAS, I had dedicated a paragraph to talking about my degree. Reading this back now it is easier to see why the recruiters might have been persuaded of my desire to apply my BSc degree to my career. Whilst my original intention of including this paragraph - to demonstrate how my degree had benefited me - was a correct approach, I had emphasised the wrong aspects of it, such as content. Had I read it back objectively, I might have realised that this approach might mislead the recruiters into assuming a passion for science and healthcare. Then I might have been better able to write from a more relevant angle, such as how the inter-disciplinary nature of the degree makes me suited to the placement style of the scheme. And although I didn't get through this year, I can look back over my application with a certainty that I made my interests clear, and would have avoided any crossed wires at interview!

2 comments:

  1. I was just reading BBC news about this school that's teaching girls the value of rejection and failure! Very sweet. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-16879336

    Anyway, I think everything happens for a reason. Something better is on the way Jos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! What a great story; it is a very important lesson to learn, especially for people like those students who I guess are likely to have high expectations to live up to.

      Delete